I’m not going to lie, the last 12 months has given some of the highest, and the lowest points in my life so far. Sitting here at the age of 24 I am starting to realise that life isn’t always pretty rainbows and cosy country walks finished off with a creamy hot chocolate by the fire… No, sometimes, you wake up one day to an invisible metal spade hitting you full pelt in the face and you just have to carry on with it.. because, that’s life.
What I do know, is every event in my life I go through, good or bad, I learn from it. Each time a curveball is thrown my way, I use it as my opportunity to learn, grow and evolve.
So, here are some lessons I have learnt and how they have shaped my outlook and made me a better person;
1) Self Care is the optimum of being able to handle life. Look, I cannot express strongly enough how looking after yourself is more important than anything or anyone. You may not agree with this, you may have children to care for, or an elderly relative you take care of and these things can lead you to believe they are your priority. But looking after yourself needs to come first. If you aren’t taking care of yourself, emotionally, physically, mentally, how will you be able to be the best version of yourself. Ignoring your own mental well being leads to those inevitable demons creeping up on you, making small situations seem more difficult to handle. Taking care of your emotional well being, to me, is just as important as your physical well being and I wish I knew this when I was a teen (will save that for another post..)
Self care is as simple as mediating, walking, drawing, taking a longggg bubbly bubble bath with your favourite book and a glass of wine.. Do something that grounds your mind, centres your thoughts, and most importantly, do something for YOU.. because life isn’t easy when you aren’t taking care of yourself, trust me.
2) Stop trying to please everyone. Look, not everyone likes mint choc chip swirly wirly ice cream… because some, are boring. But that’s fine, just do you, if people can’t get on with that then don’t try to make them because all it does is deplete your own energy, energy you could be using to make yourself that sassy and successful little thing you really are.
3) You CAN achieve what you want in life. “if you can dream it, you can do it” – Wise words from one of the best creators on earth, Walt Disney. If you have a dream, a passion, then why not turn that into your full time occupation. Why not? If you want to write a book, start now.. what is stopping you? Since starting my blog 12 months ago I have reached more and more of my own goals, all because I believed I could, I made it happen by setting small goals and acheiving them, you can do the same and for goodness sake, START TODAY.
4) Not everyone has the same motives as you. This is a biggy for me. The last 12 months has shown me that just because I have seen a situation one way, and want something to go a certain way, does NOT mean someone else will feel the same. And you know what, that’s okay. Having your own mind is important. Moulding yourself around another person on the other hand, not okay. Just be yourself, accept people have their own minds and don’t change for no one girl.
5) Gut instinct – GO WITH IT. We were all born with a super power, instincts. And trust me when I tell you, follow it. Have a bad feeling about something? Then it probably is because it is bad. Don’t trust a person/situation? Then you are probably right not to. Don’t turn that little gift we all have down, turn it up, listen to it and go with it.
6) Keep your close friends and family close and block out toxic people starting today. One thing I have learned is not everyone brings out the best in you. Some people are there when you’re going through a hard time purely because they like to see you when you’re down. Recognise it. Noticing those special friends and family who are there for you no matter what, who only build you and encourage you are the real “keepers” in your life. So do just that, keep them there, appreciate them.
Don’t forget you can find me in these places also: